Exercise and Service helps give "Hope" (anonymous contributor)

Taking Action!

I was diagnosed with severe depression about ten years ago. Although I was able to overcome it, I am still haunted by its symptoms. The difference is now I know what the symptoms and triggers are for me and so I know how to stop it in its tracks before it gets out of hand. Exercise, giving service, getting out of the house, spending time with friends, or doing something creative are the things that help me the most.

Whenever I start to feel anxious, irritable, or depressed, I ask myself, when was the last time I exercised, did something kind for someone else, got out of the house, talked to a good friend, or did something creative? I also ask myself, what am I looking forward to in my life right now? If I don’t have anything that I am excited about, then I plan something to be excited about. It can be as simple as a girl’s night out at the movies or signing up for a class or competition.

Exercise-

I am a certified personal trainer and weight management coach. I also have a degree in exercise and nutrition. I have studied and seen first-hand the positive effects of exercise on relieving anxiety and depression.

As little as 20 minutes of exercise per day can release substantial amounts of serotonin and other “feel good” hormones in your brain that keep you feeling calm, happy, and “normal”. I have had many clients experience this change and for myself personally, I use daily exercise as my preferred form of treatment against anxiety and depression. I am happy to report that I have not needed medication for ten years!

Medication has its place-

I believe that there is a time and place for medication. Usually this is when the depression is severe and you need it to help get you back to a “normal” state. When I had severe depression ten years ago, I was put on an antidepressant which did help me to feel “normal” again so that I could think straight enough to make better choices for my life. I know that everyone is different, but I do encourage people to do more than just rely on a drug to fix their situation.

Depression can be a chemical imbalance in the brain, but I believe that there are almost always underlying issues that trigger the episodes of anxiety and depression. Perhaps you need to take better care of your physical body, including what you feed it.

The wrong kinds of foods can detrimentally affect your moods. (See D&C 89).

Maybe you have relationship issues or need professional counseling to get over a past event. Maybe you need to let go of an old grudge (true forgiveness is powerful medicine!) Perhaps you have too much stress in your life or you have some decisions to make that you have been putting off.

Maybe you simply need to feel in control of your life again by realizing that you are responsible for your own actions and behaviors. My advice is to use medicine to stabilize your brain; then take action to improve your situation. It is much easier to jump over a pit in the ground than to climb back out of it!

Give Service

-President Hinckley was big on the idea that if you are feeling down, the best thing you can do is “go and do” for someone else. Much of our unhappiness is caused by selfishness. Just as serotonin and other “feel good” hormones are released through drugs and exercise, doing something kind for someone else also releases those same happy hormones.

About 5 years ago, I was close to experiencing another episode of depression. One night I was talking with my husband about the matter. In tears I told him how “I” was feeling and how “I” needed this and “I” needed that to be happy. He loving and wisely said some words that I will never forget. He said, “No offense Hun, but when was the last time you did something for someone else?”

I truly believe those words were inspired. They were exactly what I needed to here in that moment. Since then, I have sincerely tried to take his advice. Whenever I am feeling down on myself, I ask myself, “When was the last time I served someone else?” I always find that I have been slacking in that area. Then I go and find someone to serve. I always feel so much better. It works every time! It is by far the best medicine that even money cannot buy!

-"Hope"